Wednesday, December 9, 2009

i'm H2O intolerant!

So my roommate Megan stumbled across this picturesque piece whilst trolling the vast wonderland that is the interwebz.
T-ShirtHumor.com

Insert hysterical laughter here. Yes, I'm allowed to laugh. One of my other roommates (and friend since we were youngsters), Autumn, discovered a few years back that she'd somehow developed a lactose intolerance. This means, of course, that she can't ingest anything with lactose in it, which, in case your curious, includes but is not limited to just dairy products. Well, she can, but you wouldn't want her to, unless you want to give up all access to your bathroom for the next few hours. So she drinks Lactaid milk and has pills that allow her to - in small quantities - digest dairy things we may cook with.

The real kicker, of course, is discovering upon moving in together that while everyone else in the apartment can handle her lactose-free milk in place of our own regular stuff... I cannot. Not that I choose not to, or that I dislike the taste (because really, it tastes like normal milk) - I literally cannot digest her milk properly. I get the same reaction from her Lactaid milk as she does from my regular milk.

It's quite a quandary, and makes cooking an interesting adventure. We've finally settled on a half/half policy, where both of us get kind of grumbly stomachs, but neither are sick. Ah, never a dull moment here!

No comments:

Post a Comment